Friday, November 2, 2007

Garbage FLOOD, caused by human !!


Greek officials protest garbage flood from Bulgaria

Fri Nov 2, 1:11 PM ET

SALONIKA (AFP) - Officials and ecologists in northern Greece were in an uproar after garbage from neighbouring Bulgaria flooded into protected wetlands following heavy rains, a local activist said Friday.

"Most of the discarded plastic containers have Bulgarian labels," said Stavros Daglis, head of the Ecological Action Group in the city of Drama.

In a letter sent Monday to the Bulgarian consul in the city of Salonika, the mayor of Kato Nevrokopi said "massive" quantities of waste from households and industry were swept into the Nestos River on October 22 and 23.

"This is the fourth time this has happened ... and we just completed a costly cleanup from waste coming from your country last year," Mayor Vassilis Yiannopoulos wrote.

"Obviously the garbage was swept from disorganised (Bulgarian) landfills after the heavy rains that fell recently," he said.

The Nestos River delta and adjoining lagoons, which extend over a 21,930-hectare (54,190-acre) area, are protected wetlands.

"We cannot have the Nestos turning into a garbage dump every time it rains," Drama prefect Costas Evmoiridis told the regional Makedonia daily.

3 comments:

The Weltalter said...

We like your site and have added it to our blog roll. Our blog, My Green Element (www.mygreenelement.com) covers green business and marketing trends. I was hoping we could be added to your blog roll. Also, if you are interested in writing a guest post, please let me know.
Peace,
Stefan

adrian2514 said...

Hey thanks for the great blog, I love this stuff. I don’t usually do much for Earth Day but with everyone going green these days, I thought I’d try to do my part.

I am trying to find easy, simple things I can do to help stop global warming (I don’t plan on buying a hybrid). Has anyone seen that www.EarthLab.com is promoting their Earth Day (month) challenge, with the goal to get 1 million people to take their carbon footprint test in April? I took the test, it was easy and only took me about 2 minutes and I am planning on lowering my score with some of their tips.

I am looking for more easy fun stuff to do. If you know of any other sites worth my time let me know.

MI Syakir Ishak said...

After all, the good concepts of "Mottainai" should be instilled and nurtured in people from tender age. Improving our waste management system especially in plastics waste reduction, is not just the responsibility of the authorities, contractors or service industry, it is also the duty of every citizen. In this regards, parents are good role models for their children.When the ecosystem is rehabilitated, hence it begins functioning as before. Mankind is closely linked to nature. We need to renew and strengthened our ties. Sustainability encourages mankind to forge spiritual, emotional and aesthetical ties with the environment.